Over 280 boats and 1400 people, including 25 children aged under 16, will take part in the 28th Atlantic Rally for Cruisers, which sets sail on November 24 from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, heading 2700NM across the Atlantic to Saint Lucia.
For the first time in the rally’s history, there will be two routes available: 50 boats will sail via the Cape Verdes to Saint Lucia, setting off 2 weeks ahead of the main group taking the direct route.
The details of 28th rally are –
• ARC 2013 has two starts from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria:
• ARC+ Cape Verdes departs on Sunday 10 November 2013. – Leg 1 sails to Mindelo, Sao Vicente in the Cape Verdes, a distance of approximately 850 nm. – Leg 2 sails from Mindelo to the IGY Rodney Bay Marina in Saint Lucia, a distance of 2,150 nm.
• ARC departs on 24 November direct to Saint Lucia, approximate distance 2,700nm
• The ARC is a fun rally for cruising yachts. Boats are allowed to motor, although motoring times are taken into account when calculating the results.
• The ARC Racing Division is run using IRC ratings. Yachts in the Racing Division are not permitted to use their engines for propulsion.
• The first ARC left Las Palmas in 1986 and has run every year since.
• The current ARC course record is 11 days, 5 hours, 32 minutes and 30 seconds, held by Italian maxi yacht Capricorno (Rinaldo Del Bono), in ARC 2006.
As always, the ARC fleet represents almost every principle sailing nation. This year so far we have boats registered in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, UK, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, USA and 10 other nations, making 31 in total. ARC crew crossing the Atlantic this year are aged from 22 Months to over 70 years.
For a full entry list, go www.worldcruising.com/arc.
To follow the ARC boats online using the Fleet Viewer, go www.worldcruising.com/arc/eventfleetviewer and read their at-sea blogs http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/arc_2013_eventlogs
By World Cruising Club